Thursday, November 4, 2010

FFT Week 9 & 10

FFT Week 9 was about using observation as a way to do collect data for a research proposal. Most of the chapter wasn't too helpful, as observation is primarily used for more in-depth ethnographic studies (which my proposal is not). However, these two points did stand out to me and make me question using observation. "Interview and questionnaire responses [which I had been planning to use] are notorious for discrepancies between what people say they have done, or will do, and what they actually did, or will do (Robson, pg 310)." So it makes me think that if I can afford it, I should take notes and video them. Privacy issues of foster children screams that this is a big no-no, so maybe I could audio record them and make sure all comments are billed as anonymous (assuming I was given permission to do so). Another issue with questionnaires that Robson brings up, via Agnew and Pyke (1982), is that "we only have to move the pencil a few inches to shift our scores from being a bigot to being humanitarian. We don't have to move our heavy-weight behavior at all (pg 310)." Here he is basically saying that people don't want to be taken in a certain light, so they may lie on questionnaires to make themselves look better, which is a problem when you are trying to look for accurate results.

FFT Week 10 was about additional data collection methods like historical methods, meta-analysis, triangulation (using multiple methods), simulation, content analysis, and feminist research methods. I thought the Box on page 372 was particularly helpful in describing how you can combine qualitative and quantitative methods into your research design. The biggest help about Chapter 12 was the gray sections in the back of the chapter, which talk about "Arranging the Practicalities," i.e. making sure you have certain things such as negotiating access to your subject matter/topic, making up consent forms (especially important with this population of foster children as I'm sure I would have to get multiple permissions before I could even see anybody), making sure you are organized, doing pilot studies, work on relationship with your superiors and follow up on your work.

1 comment:

  1. I too like the practicalities section; it raises a number of issues related to implementation of a data collection approach that WILL come up. As you move from notes to audio to video 'things' become more complex in terms of data management, processing, and analysis. You could propose to try different approaches (in the spirit of a flexible design) and decide based on your test later which approach of mix of approaches will work best in your real world.

    ReplyDelete