Thursday, November 4, 2010

More articles and settling on age range

I finally went to the library and asked for help to find more articles as I have had no luck finding additional ones. Thanks to the helpful librarians at RCPL, I managed to find another article I could use as an excellent example of library programs to directly target foster kids, namely Jessica Snow's Fall 2009 article for Young Adult Library Services entitled "Library Outreach to foster teens," which also gave ways for others to start similar library programs (very helpful). Another article gave me what I was looking for psychologically as background for the proposal, but I think I will end up using it for article reference instead. I still need to find an article that specifically says that the constant displacement and family situation of foster children disrupts their lives and makes it difficult to acclimate to situations. I did finally get to read the extremely long study from the UK's National Literacy Trust which explains about points like kids read more if the mother reads or encourages them to read, but I would like to find the results in the US. I found this resource on the website First Book, and I will continue looking online for reputable results.

After most of my research focused on teens, I have decided to make the age range of my study be 12-18 yrs, although for the general information of the research proposal, it will likely be all ages.

1 comment:

  1. I have no problem with your using research from across the pond or elsewhere outside of the US.

    ReplyDelete